How are you using Projects in ArcGIS Pro?

01-03-2018 03:07 PM
ErickFox
New Contributor II

I'm just curious to know how people are using the Project structure in Pro to organize their work. I like that one project can hold many maps/scenes/layouts, but the associated gdb, toolbox, and other folders that each Project automatically (but optionally, I recognize) makes have me wondering at what 'level' I should be creating my Projects.

Do you create a new Project for each group of related maps/layouts (possibly not creating a new gdb/toolbox every time), even if it's just a few maps? Or do you point every new Project to a preexisting default gdb/toolbox (similar to ArcMap)?

Trying to get some ideas from everyone. Thanks!

14 Replies
JayJohnson6
New Contributor III

The .mxd already exists. So I have to open a blank project in order to use the Import Map command. This allows me to have all the layers match. I can’t drag and drop, like I might with two open ArcMap instances.

If there is a more logical workflow, please suggest it.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Ok, like I said I misread it.  This appears to be the only way to do it without starting from scratch.  I have found a number of issues so check your projects carefully.  Especially if you have complex symbology.  I had a zoning map with hatches (multiple layers on one symbol) that wouldn't display correctly.  I had to remove the hatches and resymbolize it in Pro in order to get it to work properly.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
DaveJordan1
New Contributor III

I've been working in Pro for over a year now and I really appreciate the flexibility of the "Project" concept.  I am working for a city and I get a variety of projects to work on.  Primarily, I create projects based on the requesting department or requesters name.  Within the project I typically have multiple maps and layouts.  Relating the maps to layouts is based on consistent naming conventions. So the map name is typically the same as the layout name.  For example, a map named Ord. 1234 will have a layout named Ord. 1234 and so on.  In the same project I may have a map named Zoning Maintenance, which I use for updates...

I am also starting to use Project templates that contain a Map with the primary layers symbolized  and a typical 11x15 Layout with the essentials already there, such as the Map frame, North arrow, title, scale bar, and a couple of dynamic texts.  This is a great time saver. As is Layout files.

As time goes on some of my projects have many maps and layouts. Having them available, but separated, in catalog makes it easy to locate things when needed.  Providing I have given descriptive names to them.

I really want to hear more on how others are managing projects.  Maybe because it is so flexible, I have been able to find any deep-dive information from ESRI on the topic of Project Management.

AllisonHockey
New Contributor II

I treat my arcgis pro projects as ways to store different 'jobs'. Say I work for a company who only has data related to natural resources - there's a project for that. Then say I work for a company who only has historical anthropological data. There's a project for that. I keep many different geodatabases in my projects to organize the difference processes that go in within those different jobs. And our data is hosted on arcgis online, for each job.

0 Kudos