Select to view content in your preferred language

Help Calculating Density!

09-15-2022 05:36 PM
NathanJoseph
Emerging Contributor

Relatively new to ArcPro. I'm trying to create a heat map that shows me everywhere in the state where there are X number of jobs within a one mile radius. For the underlying data, I've joined the number of jobs in each census block with a shape file that has polygons for each census block. I've then converted those features to points so now I have a bunch of points in the center of each census block with fields that indicate the number of jobs in that census block. This is as far as I've been able to get. I've tried a number of different heat may and density calculation geoprocessing tools, but have been unsuccessful in getting the results I'm looking for. Anyone have any input on how to approach this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What are you getting?

What do you expect it to look like?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
NathanJoseph
Emerging Contributor

What I have is these census blocks. You'll see in the attribute table the field "Sum of S0000." That's what I'm trying to show the density of at 1 mile radii. Census Blocks.png

So I've converted the polygons to points and am working with this:

Census Block Points.png

I've gotten several different results depending on the geoprocessing tool I try. What I expect it to look like is a heat map with what I guess I'll call just a single "heat" that shows where the sum of the "Sum of S000" field within a 1 mile radius is equal to or greater than 5,600. 

The goal is to view the data underlying US Census's OnTheMap tool, which requires you to select a point, buffer that point, and then run analysis on that buffer to determine the number of jobs within a one (or whatever you decide) mile radius of that point. See screen shot below. Many thanks for your thoughts...

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 9.58.25 AM.png

0 Kudos