Select to view content in your preferred language

Heat density map for specific variable

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
Labels (2)
KyaningaForestFoundation
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a dataset made of polygons where different data was collected.

KyaningaForestFoundation_0-1716552210163.png

I would like to create different heat maps according to different parameters (males/females for example). However in the Kernel Density tool I can't seem to figure out how you can adjust which data it uses to create the map.

Is there a better way to do this?

Many thanks,

Matt

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro can also do heat map symbology for points using the workflow seen here but if you want to create a true density raster dataset then you'll need to use the Kernel Density or Point Density GP tools.  Both density tools output are really a count of features per square area unit and not to be confused with a Hot Spot Analysis.  That's a completely different workflow and output dataset.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Kernel Density usually uses point data since yours are polygons you might want to first convert them to points (centroids), however kernel density shows clusters of data which in case of your data I don't know how it would look like. More information on the Kernel Density tool can be found here.

A choropleth or a graduated symbol map might be more suitable for polygon data

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro can also do heat map symbology for points using the workflow seen here but if you want to create a true density raster dataset then you'll need to use the Kernel Density or Point Density GP tools.  Both density tools output are really a count of features per square area unit and not to be confused with a Hot Spot Analysis.  That's a completely different workflow and output dataset.