Having issues with ArcGIS Pro 2.6 Update: Accessing/Synchronizing to One-Way PostgreSQL Replica

08-03-2020 12:32 PM
DL_NCT911
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

we recently upgraded our ArcGIS Pro from 2.5.2 to 2.6.0.

I use a Python script (Pro based 3.x) to do our sychronization to a one-way PostgreSQL SDE connection from a Microsoft SQL SDE connection.

This has been working perfectly fine up until this recent upgrade. No changes to the SDE connections or Python script have occurred, so I am extremely confident that this is not a script issue. Adding to that, the same script is synchronizing other replicas just fine on Pro 2.6, just not this lone PostgreSQL database that our vendor utilizes.

We are able to connect to and synchronize the one-way replica just fine from ArcMap's ArcCatalog view (Python 2.7 based) and can access the SDE feature classes without issue. However, if I attempt to connect to the SDE connection within Pro's Catalog Pane, I can not access the SDE connection and get the following error:

"Function or procedure does not exist [DatabaseName.GDB_ItemTypes]"

If I attempt to synchronize that PostgreSQL SDE connection with Esri's Python 3.x libraries, I get the following error message:

"ERROR 000791: Cannot access local or remote geodatabse. Failed to execute (SynchronizeChanges)."

Since this issue does not appear to be plaguing our other Microsoft SQL SDE databases (we have successfully sync'd other SDE connections since the update to 2.6), my assumption is this is related specifically to PostgreSQL database connections in Pro 2.6.

Has anyone else encountered this since the 2.6.0 release? Thanks for your input, and I'll provide as much detail as I can if needed further.

EDIT:

Adding extra information and clarification:  We found out from our vendor that they created a PostgreSQL database for this replica on v9.0.9.  This may have something to do with the issues. However, Esri's documentation seems to indicate that this version has not been supported in a.g.e.s.  I'm befuddled as to how it continued working without issue up to this point. Seems like it should have been problematic years ago..? Adding to that, it still works just fine in ArcGIS 10.6.1 and continues to synchronize there without issue.

1 Reply
ZebThomas
New Contributor

Yes we have noticed a similar issue connecting to older geodatabases within the Pro Catalog Pane specific to upgrading to Pro 2.6. Our postgres databases created with 10.1 and 10.2 tend to get this error whenever we attempt to connect to them, whereas our newer databases in 10.4 through 10.7 mostly work fine (as far as I can tell). It may also have to do with the version of postgres on those older servers, which is quite old (9.0.3), whereas our newer databases are on newer versions of postgres 9 or 10. This error is mostly persistent but somewhat intermittent in Pro (some databases sometimes work, others never work), while connections in ArcMap 10.6 and 10.6.1 still work fine.