Graphic text in ArcGIS Pro

05-26-2016 07:04 AM
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

How can I add a new graphic text to my map in ArcGIS Pro? In Arc map it was done using the Text tools on the Draw toolbar .

These tools let you create new text in these situations:

• At a point (Text will be horizontal.)
  • Along a curved line
  • With a callout box behind the text to mask what's underneath it, and a leader line pointing from the text box to another location
  • By clicking a feature and automatically deriving the text string from a feature attribute
  • That automatically flows within a rectangle, circle, or irregular polygon shape

Are these options available in Pro?

9 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Sona,

Take a look at this:

Add and modify graphics and text—Layouts | ArcGIS for Desktop

You can add point and paragraph text to your layout. The benefit of paragraph text is that the text wraps inside the given shape. Text insert tools can be found in the Text group on the Insert tab.

1. Choose the insert tool for the type of text you want to insert. There are various shapes available for paragraph text.
0 Kudos
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Adrian! I saw that but its about adding text in the layout. I am trying to add text in the Map view (data view).

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are many ways from labelling to adding text, begin in the help here

Add text to a map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
SonaSunny
Occasional Contributor

I had looked into that but its all about dynamic labeling.

AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III

Doesn't really answer the question.  Currently annotation feature classes are read-only in Pro.  Graphic text is a layout only thing.  Labels are labels same as they have always been.  There is no graphic text element for the map right now like on the ArcMap dataframe or map.  There is a good case for it, you might want to add a piece of text in geographic space that appears in all the layouts you have, à la "there be dragons here".

In my business I want everything store in the database for persistence of the data so annotations are the best unless I start putting the mapx or aprx into the database too.

Miguel_AngelBarrientos_Martíne
New Contributor II

11-10-2017 and still waiting...

0 Kudos
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

I also was just looking for a simple way to add a temporary graphic box or text in my layers dataview, and I now remember one of the things ArcPro dosn't do. Unless I missing something reading above, S sunny never got a reply.

This should be  a very simple thing to able to add a graphic to the layers dataframe, then when not needed anymore, select and delete, or for that matter, select the graphic an convert to feature?

I may be jumping the gun but has not this simple Issue been added to Pro yet?

its very possible that it been resolved but in searching, Im not seeing it, everything appears to ref Arcmap10x not Pro.

Thanks for reading my rant.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Brian,

You can vote up the idea for adding graphic text here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/10410 

There is also a good discussion on that link as well.

0 Kudos
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Done, Thanks Adrian.

0 Kudos