Georeferencing a scanned image

Jump to solution
06-08-2022 10:34 AM
erkinozay
New Contributor II

On Pro 2.9, I am trying to place a master plan JPG file prepared by a third party in on a local scene and georeference it. When I add the JPG on the map, it gets placed on a random location (probably the center of the map) with a random Coordinate System. Georeference button remains grayed out and I cannot reproject the image to match with the coordinate system of my map. I tried using a TIFF file and erasing the metadata of the JPG to no avail. I was not able to find a comparable scenario in the comments or elsewhere. Can you help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erkinozay
New Contributor II

Thank you for your responses. I did not get an alert that people were responding so I neglected the post. After trying to solve it in pretty much every way possible, I decided to do it in ArcMap. It went much more smoothly and as expected. Pro seems to have major issues when it comes to georeferencing. Once I find some time, I will share the screenshots.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
julian_svcs
Occasional Contributor

I don't think you can georeference in a scene. Try adding the JPG image into a 2D map to georeference, then add the saved georeferenced image into the scene.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After you add the JPEG to the map, you might have to actually click on the JPEG layer in the TOC. Once it is selected the georeference button should become active.

0 Kudos
erkinozay
New Contributor II

Thank you. That is the problem, it does not become active after picking the layer on TOC.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glad to hear it. If this is the solution, please mark it to help others in the future. I had this same issue when I switched to Pro.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

You could try deleting the projection information for the JPG. Basically, get it back to a projection as "undefined" and then you should be able to use the georeferencing tools.

When you look at the JPEG inside of Catalog, does it have a defined projection system? If it does, or even it it doesn't display one you can try this, Under the raster properties, there is an option to import projection information from another dataset (click that globe icon next to the Spatial Reference grouping in the main properties dialog).

Use any other JPG (a photo, a PDF converted to a JPG, etc) that doesn't have a defined projection and then use that image as a the source to re-apply an undefined projection back to your master plan JPG. I think that might do the trick.

Steve

importProjectionExample.jpg

erkinozay
New Contributor II

Thank you for your responses. I did not get an alert that people were responding so I neglected the post. After trying to solve it in pretty much every way possible, I decided to do it in ArcMap. It went much more smoothly and as expected. Pro seems to have major issues when it comes to georeferencing. Once I find some time, I will share the screenshots.