Select to view content in your preferred language

Georeference a vertical image in ArcGIS Pro

03-15-2022 07:24 AM
PatrickToth1
New Contributor

Can somebody explain to me how I go about georeferencing a vertical section/ image so it appears in a local 3D scene?  I have images of some historical underground mine workings and I would like to be able to georeference them in 3D so I could plan some boreholes.  I have X,Y data to locate the image as well as the vertical scale (Z).  Is it possible to do this in ArcGIS Pro?  Previously it was possible to do this in ArcMap, but only with X,Z ot Y,Z coordinates.  What happens if the image/data is not perfectly east-west or north-south. 

3 Replies
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

You will need to specify the horizontal and vertical coordinate system for your image.  See this link for help: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/properties/vertical-coordinate-systems.htm

Here is another page that might be helpful about navigating underground:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/map-authoring/best-practices-for-maps.htm

For specifically zooming underground, below-ground navigation is disabled by default for the layers in your scene; this helps you avoid accidentally going underground. If your scene contains data that correctly belongs underground, you should enable this capability (for example, pipelines or geologic bodies). In the Contents pane, select the Ground elevation surface. On the Appearance tab, in the Surface group, check the option Navigate Underground.
GabrielAmon
New Contributor

Hi! I saw that you were in this topic and I really need your help.

I have a image print of a seismic line of area of interest. And I want to visualize it vertically with the rest of the shapes 2D.  I inicially georreferenced only the two points that outcrops in the surface. 

Can you guys explain to me how can I make the image perpendicular to the seismic path line?

Thanks in advance!

GabrielAmon_0-1680822654047.png

0 Kudos
Daniel_Kellogg
New Contributor

Hi, I work in the mining industry and there is a need to georeference sectional based vertical 2D images underground all the time. There is zero information on if or how this can be done in ArcPro.  I am also currently trying to do this with seismic profiles and there does not appear to be a direct way to accomplish this with good accuracy. I also need to do this with historical drill sections with interpreted geology.

The closest thing I could find was to create a multipatch covering the extents of the image and then texture the multipatch with the image. The problem with this is that the texturing is not automatically scaled 1:1 and the end user needs to scale and move the texture placement. This ends up being way too time consuming, with little to no confidence in accuracy. 

If anyone knows how to georeference a vertical image in the subsurface, this would be great. I know how to do it in MapInfo/Discover 3D. 

0 Kudos