Geocode non addressable Excel Spreadsheet

02-10-2021 04:12 AM
Labels (1)
CMcDonald
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I  have had an Excel spreadsheet shared with me that has a list of non addressable assets (trees).  Is it possible to do some sort of Reverse Geocode and import them as a Table and add the location manually for each into a single Feature Class/Shapefile.

The 'geocode' options in the ArcGIS Toolbox seem mainly to refer to geocoding addresses.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, you can zoom to the non-addressable assets (trees) for example and with the World Imagery basemap on, right click on the image.  From the Context Menu, select "What's Here?"  ArcGIS Pro will provide you an address and a Lat/Lon for that position that you can copy/paste into a table.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Does the spreadsheet have any sort of spatial reference as to where the trees are located like a a lat,long pair?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CMcDonald
Occasional Contributor II

There are no coordinates in the spreadsheet but there is a Postcode (zipcode).  Each site surveyed has been put in a separate tab in the spreadsheet so you could match all the trees from each site to a single location I guess and then manually move them.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You could create a locator based on zipcode if you have access to zipcode data.  All the trees in a given zipcode will be matched in the same location so you won't get any sort of precision out of it.  If your data had some sort of coordinate pairs you could reverse geocode them to a locator.  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos