Geocode Addresses Operations doesn't work for my custom geocoder service

11-01-2021 12:32 PM
SailiTang1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I just published a new geocoder service to our test server and tested it. The operations “Find Address Candidates”, “Reverse Geocode” and “Suggest” are working well, but only “Geocode Addresses” doesn’t work and it showed me “Unable to complete operation”. Do you have any idea what reason causes this issue? My geocoder service is a composite geocoder.

Thanks for your help.

Saili

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

The service you published.. where did you publish it?  Could be a permissions issue.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
SailiTang1
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply. For test purpose, I just published it to our internal test ArcGIS server. I have admin privilege on this server. That's why I couldn't post the url to you to test because it is internal for now. Do I still need permissions?

Saili

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I was just wondering about the permissions because usually a geocoder runs against a dataset that is configured with the locator.  If that dataset is internal, there may be a firewall block.  Try building the geocode service off of a public dataset and see if it doesn't change the outcome.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
SailiTang1
New Contributor III

The dataset had been copied to the internal server automatically when I published the geocoder service. How can I build this service using public dataset? And also, both my computer and the server are within the same intranet and they shouldn't be blocked each other, right?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Try publishing the datasets that you are using for the geocoder to a public service or one that is shared internally from AGOL.  I have a hunch that the data sources are causing the issues.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
SailiTang1
New Contributor III

Sorry, it is my fault. For Geocode Addresses operation, the address should be input as JSON format in the "Addresses" item, not only a string, which is why I got the error. But thanks for your reply any way.

cnw_ivesleung
New Contributor III

Thank you for helping me solve the exact problem I had! The address field needs to be in JSON format as referenced at https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/geocode/api-reference/geocoding-geocode-addresses.htm#ESRI_SECTIO....  

Ives
0 Kudos