Select to view content in your preferred language

Generate Points Along Line placing points at incorrect distance

Jump to solution
03-14-2023 06:59 AM
VictoriaTousaw
New Contributor III

I am trying to generate points along a line that are spaced 100 m apart with points at each end of the line. 

I am using the Generate Points Along Line tool, by distance, 100 meters. The output results in points along the line that are placed ~145 m apart in straight sections of the line, and ~115 to 130 m apart around curves in the line. I double checked and the line is all one segment. 

Any ideas of ways that I can try to fix this are greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the measure tool to confirm the placement? and is your map coordinate system set to the web mercator?  If so, choose a projected coordinate system that shows better distance and area measures (like a UTM, state plane, equidistance etc(

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using the measure tool to confirm the placement? and is your map coordinate system set to the web mercator?  If so, choose a projected coordinate system that shows better distance and area measures (like a UTM, state plane, equidistance etc(

... sort of retired...
VictoriaTousaw
New Contributor III

Thanks! After projecting the line and changing the map coordinate system the points were plotted properly. 

Has the functionality of this tool been replaced by a different tool? 

0 Kudos
AnilKumar0
New Contributor

HI Victoria Tousaw ,
Could you kindly share which projection method you employed and the specific map coordinate system to which you changed to ?
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might want to consider looking into this

Geodetic Densify (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos