General Relative Pathways in ArcGIS Pro

02-09-2023 12:31 PM
Labels (2)
wOwen
by
New Contributor II

Does ArcPro support relative pathways generally?

Example:

• C:\myRootDir\Base_Data.gdb   (50GB)
  • C:\myRootDir\
    • aprx_1
    • aprx_2
    • aprx_3
    • ** Base_Data.gdb added automatically to all projects/all projects use data from Base_Data.gdb

Copy Projects to Server or other location

• A:\myNewRoot\Base_Data.gdb (Copy of same large GDB at root level of new location)
  • A:\myNewRoot\aprx_1
    • still references data on C:\ drive
    • would have to include 50GB base.gdb in every Project folder
    • or run a script to reset pathways with every copy to new location (for 100s of end users)
    • The goal is to have end users copy a lightweight aprx file to servers and retain mapping to large datasets in the Base_Data.gdb through relative pathways
    • Hoping for ability to make the Base_Data.gdb relative, i.e. project.aprx "look up" one level from the aprx_xx project files to find the data regardless of where the project folder is stored

Am I just missing how to do this? Or is there a better solution?

Thank you!

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I see you found the multi-year protracted link

Solved: How can I "store relative pathnames" in ArcGIS Pro... - Page 3 - Esri Community

so storing the gdb one level up is still a problem which hasn't been resolved

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
wOwen
by
New Contributor II

@DanPatterson  Yes, I posted there but since it appears "Solved" I wasn't sure if my question would be viewed. Also, much of that discussion revolves around OneDrive and C:\users which is unrelated to the general issue of relative pathways, so I decided to post a new, general relative pathways question.

• ESRI should review that thread. It does not appear 'Solved' at all, in my view.