Select to view content in your preferred language

Tips for ArcGIS Pro?

02-08-2023 11:58 PM
Labels (1)
jecobdruv
New Contributor

Hi! I’m working with ArcGIS Pro for the very first time. I’m well-acquainted with ArcMap as I’ve been using it for two years, but I know nothing about ArcGIS Pro. Does anyone have tips for using ArcGIS Pro or know of any good Youtube channels/forums I can reference if I get stuck? I’m a bit overwhelmed by the huge aesthetic difference between these softwares.

Thanks!

9 Replies
ScottFedak2085
Regular Contributor

I don't know of specific channels or videos in youtube, but I'm sure there is something out there for you when you get stuck. ESRI has lots of videos from UCs on youtube that are always a good resource when your exploring a new topic. To get some good tailored material, I would recommend ESRI training courses https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/search/. There are a few introduction to Pro courses available.

One thing that gets some getting used to is the ribbon based nature of the application. Unlike ArcMap where you can pin different toolbars that you utilize often, applicable tools in Pro often don't show-up until you are working with an object (layer, FC, locator, Network Dataset, etc.) where those tools can be utilized.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

I found symbology in ArcGIS Pro to be unintuitive.  If you do too, you might find this post helpful: Navigate from Primary Symbology window to Gallery/Properties window.

0 Kudos
DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager

@jecobdruv @Bud I have moved this into the ArcGIS Pro Questions Board. 

AngelaSchirck
Frequent Contributor

I switched to arcPro a couple years ago and found good ol' GOOGLE helpful when I wanted to know how to do something.  Also post your questions in here, there are many helpful people here! The thing I've learned is that anything arcmap can do, arcpro can do better!  There's always a way.  Good luck!

SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Use google, youtube and post questions here. I've been using it since 2018 and I always have question on how to do things. It's the same functionality as ArcMap but everything is a total redesign. 

0 Kudos
RandyCasey
Frequent Contributor

This is often missed by even seasoned ArcGIS Pro users, but on the welcome screen of ArcGIS Pro is this area off to the right:

RandyCasey_0-1675964427251.png

Which has links to take you not only to esri training videos, but also has a convenient section just for migrating from ArcMap. If you haven't already, I would recommend spending some time going through this section.

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi jecobdruv, here are some good resources. Some overlap between them.

• ArcGIS Pro Quick-Start Tutorials playlist on youtube. The newer ones are in the 7-10 minute range and more detailed. The older ones are are in the 1-3 minute range and give a quick overview.
  • ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials in the software doc. These are detailed step-by-step exercises with data. They're the complete versions of the youtube videos. Roughly 30 minutes to an hour per tutorial.
  • Migrate from ArcMap resources on the ArcGIS Pro product page.
  • ArcGIS Pro training through Esri Academy--filter on Format= E-learning format, Product = ArcGIS Pro, and (optionally) check the Free check box to get a good list of results.
  • Tutorials on the Learn ArcGIS site--I prefiltered this link for ArcGIS Pro and Beginner (even though you're not really a beginner).

Good luck!

PaulPrevedoros1
Regular Contributor

The videos and web pages mentioned by others are useful. The thing with ArcGIS pro is that you projects are not a single map. ArcGIS Pro is more in the vane of the old ArcView, that means that a project has many maps, many layouts, scenes tools and notebooks.

So organising your projects is important.

Be diligent in naming things - use aliases

.aprx save everything, but I suggest that you save individual maps as well, means that they can be used in other projects.

As an old ArcMAP user ArcGIS pro is fantastic. But how you organise your projects is paramount as you now can generate multiple output.

Consider a project can contains multiple maps each representing a different version of an analysis, and then generate layouts comparing the different analyses

Have fun 

0 Kudos
AdrianaAbramovich
Emerging Contributor

organizing the project folder is paramount. 

1) set up a project folder

Set-up project folderSet-up project folder

2) Here is a snapshot of how I organize my projects 

Inside the project folderInside the project folder

3) inside the MAPS folder, include subfolders for Layouts and Layers. the GDB for the project resides inside the  MAPS folder. 

Good luck and have fun. AA

Inside the map folderInside the map folder

0 Kudos