General Function Failure when merging point dataset

11-10-2021 02:51 AM
Labels (2)
BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II

Hi

I have a spreadsheet with 226 224 records. When I add the the spreadsheet to ArcGIS Pro and add XY, some of the records are no converted to points. I removed the records that were not converted to points and displayed and created a separate spreadsheet. The outstanding records were are displayed and I am able to create the shapefile. When I merge the 2 point shapefiles I get a 'General function failure' error message. If I merge the files in geodatabase the merge works but I get a "could not write value ' ' to output field Restricted" error message. I checked the attribute table and all seems fine.

Is my 'General function failure' error message when I merge outside the geodatabase due the large number of records? If yes how do I make the shapefile available outside the geodatabase.

Thanks

Bimall

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

sounds like there may be a blank in a numeric field (Restricted ?) in one of the files making the merge fail for that field. General function failure.

There are too many limitations with working with shapefiles.

Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile output—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

pruning down the number of attributes you want to keep may reduce file size if that turns out to be the issue

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II
Thank you. Will try pruning the attribute and see if it makes a difference.
Unfortunately, our clients and other stakeholders do not have ESRI software and cannot access data vis geodatabase and we have to make the data available in shapefile or kml format.

Thank you again for help.
Bimall
0 Kudos