Select to view content in your preferred language

Formatting Unique Value Symbology ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
08-06-2024 12:14 PM
Labels (2)
WesleyBryning
Emerging Contributor

Hi, I am working on comparing some polygon data and came across a symbology question I have run into a couple times regarding formatting all symbols.

In this case I'll be direct with what I am trying to do right now, I want to symbolize my polygons by a field which has given me 79 classes, and instead of a solid fill, I want to hatch fill with whatever random color from the color scheme. I don't see a way to set it so that all the classes can be switched to hatched fill instead of solid fill.

WesleyBryning_0-1722970538425.png

As you can see, I can go into the individual symbology for each class and switch it to hatched fill, but I have been unable to find any way to do it for all classes.

WesleyBryning_1-1722970624460.png

In the format all symbols, where you would normally go to adjust the layers is just not an option.

It's probably not a very common thing for most workflows, but I have now run into wanting to access the layers or structure tabs for formatting all symbols when symbolizing by Unique Values a couple times and am wondering if there is a way to do it that I am just missing.

I am on Windows 10, ArcGIS Pro 3.1.4. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

This should be pretty easy!

1. Get your unique values set up
  2. Format all symbols
  3. Go to Gallery
  4. Pick the symbol you want
  5. press the back button
  6. Choose your color scheme

format-all.gif

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

This should be pretty easy!

1. Get your unique values set up
  2. Format all symbols
  3. Go to Gallery
  4. Pick the symbol you want
  5. press the back button
  6. Choose your color scheme

format-all.gif

0 Kudos
WesleyBryning
Emerging Contributor

Thank you,

For some reason, this does not work if you use a favorite or custom from the gallery and do the same process, but it certainly works from the ArcGIS options.

Still would be nice to be able to customize the hatching or whatever, but at least I can do what I want to for this.

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Weird, it worked for me. Are your colors locked? See the end of this gif

format-all.gif

WesleyBryning
Emerging Contributor

Yes, I did more testing and I was able to use custom symbology from the gallery, I just was trying to do what I guess I couldn't with the color lock thing.

Like you show at the end, if you have a solid fill without a locked color, it will not work. I was trying to have a solid fill at 75% transparency with a hatch fill of the same color on top of that, but in my testing this does not appear to work.

Thanks for the help, because it's 75% transparent, and right now I'm just using it for some data comparison work I'll just use solid white, this work around is the perfect solution until we can actually use the layer and structure tab to format all symbols.

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah, you'd probably have to use two different layers to achieve the transparency also getting varied.

0 Kudos