Format symbol label text

05-20-2019 07:05 AM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

In ArcGIS Pro, is it possible to format the legend label text? I found this instruction - 'Format numbers in legend labels', but 1) I'm not trying to format numbers, and 2) under Advanced symbol options the only option available is Feature level masking

What I'm trying to do is format mg/m3 to µg/m3, as in 0.002 µg/m3 for the legend label. Thanks.

edit: I was able to get all except the superscript by copy -> paste. Anyway to do that?

edit 2: I ended up putting 3 in as its own text and superscripting that. Not elegant, but works.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Cannot you just type in µ in the label in the table of contents and that should come across to the legend

Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

I was able to get that character by copy/paste, but now want to get the 3 as superscript.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Use the ASCII character format.

press these keys while holding down <Alt>

0 1 7 9

³ as a superscript 3

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Here is one of my favorite tips.  Create a spreadsheet and populate the first column with numbers 33 through 255

There are 255 characters you computer recognizes but the first 32 are things like carriage return.

Use any Roman Font.  I use Cambria

In the first row put in the name of the Font

in the second column ( using the same font)

put in the formula

=Char(A2)

The first number in A is 33 so the result will be !

216 will be   Ø which is one I use a lot also.

I made a spreadsheet about 15 years ago like this that also contains all the ESRI and NISC fonts as well as wing/web dings

I printed it out on 11"x 17" paper and have a quick and easy reference of all ESRI Fonts for symbol purposes.

Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Thanks again. That didn't work for me, however. No character appeared. I ended up putting 3 in as its own text and superscripting that. Not elegant, but works.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you on an Apple or Linux machine? it should work with any windows machine.

no spaces between the numbers.

Try it without the leading zero

When I do it without the zero I get

│ instead of ³

0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

No, Windows 10. I'll try it w/o the zero.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I use the Ø a lot to for labeling number of phases for cabinets. 

And I write into the label expression sometimes to change the font and show a different character. like number 059 in AmFM Gas that is a right facing arrow to indicate a number range as part of the label.

Try  it in word or notepad first.  It could be a computer thing.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

0 Kudos