Format polygon symbol from existing line style?

05-11-2020 04:42 AM
ChristianVogt-Heinze
New Contributor II

Hi,

is there a way to use an existing line symbol in a line style for formatting the outline of a polygon symbol, similar to ArcGIS Desktop's Symbol Selector? Otherwise, complex line symbols would have to be created again.

7 Replies
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hey Christian,

Currently there is no functional equivalent in ArcGIS Pro to the symbol selector in ArcMap allowing you to use predefined line symbols as a polygon outline.  This is because in ArcGIS Pro the polygon outline is a stroke symbol rather than a line symbol.  However in the Properties section of the Format Polygon Symbol pane you can add symbol layers and effects to recreate for the polygon outlines, many of the same pre-defined styles for line features. 

Image preview

Aaron_King
New Contributor III

Is this for real? You seriously cannot use the pre-made line symbols for polygon outlines? What are you thinking? This needs to be fixed instantly. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You can add your support for this functionality over on the ArcGIS Ideas site https://community.esri.com/ideas/14675 

DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Still no solution to this? This is infuriating to say the least. Not being able to apply a line style as a polygon outline seems like a colossal oversight to me. Even if the style type has been changed, Pro should be smart enough to convert it as it is essentially the same set of parameters.

This is the type of stuff that not only prevents people from switching to Pro, but hardens people against it's use.

UHU
by
New Contributor

"Still no solution to this?" I would also like to use my existing line styles for polygons..

0 Kudos
UHU
by
New Contributor

I found this:

"This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. You can now add a line symbol style as a polygon outline style using the 'Import layers from a symbol' option, as described in the Symbol Structure documentation. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1."

0 Kudos
Aaron_King
New Contributor III

Hi ESRI, just wanted to say THANKS! Adding this functionality, the ability to import a line symbol style to a polygon as an outline, is a crucial step forward and responsive to community requests, and I appreciate it. Good Job!

I also REALLY appreciate that the help file on it actually shows you how to do it instead of just saying its possible.  'Import layers from a symbol' option, as described in the Symbol Structure documentation. 

0 Kudos