Format for .csv file to import ground control points

06-10-2022 11:22 PM
Labels (1)
bobscarto
New Contributor II

After asking the Community about using Ground Control Points in ArcGIS, I have narrowed the problem down to (apparently) the format of the X,Y,Z data in the .csv file that is imported using the Import GCP file command under the Manage GCPs tab in Ortho Mapping.  I have been using Decimal Degrees, not DMS, but they don't seem to be accepted by ArcGIS.  I'm wondering whether there is a rule for the number of digits after the decimal point.  I've even tried dropping the decimal point, but this doesn't work (and isn't accepted practice for GPS coordinates).  The other problem was that creating the table in Excel meant that when it was saved as a .csv, it always appeared as a .txt file, with the X and Y accuracy columns missing.  I finally ran the Excel file through Google Sheets to get an actual .csv file with all the data, but this still didn't work with Import GCP file. Anyone with any answers?

Cheers, Bob

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

show us an example of your x,y data.

0 Kudos
bobscarto
New Contributor II

Robert,  I've attached the original Excel file, then the .txt file created when saving as a .csv from Excel, and then the .csv saved from Excel (via Google Sheets) which resulted in an actual .csv.  The last is the one I've been trying to use to Import GCP. Cheers, Bob

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Here's the relevant snippet from the docs 

1. Click the Import GCPs tool from the Manage GCPs menu. Browse to the location of the GCP File, which can be a .csv or .txt file, feature class, or shapefile.

The fields in the file should include the GCP Label, X coordinate, Y coordinate, Z coordinate, XY accuracy, and Z accuracy.

Could you provide more info about what didn't work?

0 Kudos
bobscarto
New Contributor II

Dear 'and_viceversa', Please see my reply to RobertBorchert, above.  Cheers, Bob

0 Kudos