Select to view content in your preferred language

Force point symbol size to not be scale dependent

09-23-2019 01:26 PM
Jay_Gregory
Regular Contributor

I have a layout in ArcGISPro with three map frames (CONUS, AK, and HI) all pointing to the same map and data sources.  However, the scale in the AK map frame is much smaller (1:5 mil) than the other two (1:3 mil) so I can fit all of AK on my layout.  Unfortunately, my point symbols appear smaller on my AK data frame than on the others.  How to I force a renderer to display the same size for every point regardless of scale (say 8 pixles no matter the scale).  Strangely, point symbol template in the Layers tab, toggling "Respect frame" and "Scale proportionally" doesn't seem to make a difference.  Is this possible / anyone know how to achieve this?  In the attached image, the two points with the red line drawn between them should be the same size, but due to the scale difference in the map frames, the one on AK is smaller.  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

HI Jay, 

Does your map have a reference scale set?

If so, try setting this to "<None>".

Hope this helps, 

Tom

Jay_Gregory
Regular Contributor

I locked my reference scale because my layout is about 60x48" so the symbology would have to be gigantic in order to get them to be a normal size on such a large layout.  But I take it from your answer that I can't have it both ways huh?

Locking the reference scale is nice because when I'm dealing with the map (as opposed the layout), the symbols don't obscure the reference / basemap layers.  

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
Regular Contributor

I guess though I can just lock my reference scale at a specific point such that the symbols won't be too big when looking at the map, and the symbol size differences won't be substantial enough to really notice when actually viewing the printed map?  A happy medium?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think your fix has to be to make a duplicate maps each with its own reference scale that matches what you need on your layout. (Easy enough to dupe maps with copy/paste in the Catalog pane.)

0 Kudos