Select to view content in your preferred language

For each point, get value from intersecting polygon — How to rank/prioritize overlapping polygons to get the wanted value?

08-26-2024 08:11 AM
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5

The source data is in an Oracle 18c 10.7.1 enterprise geodatabase. But I plan to export the data to a file or mobile geodatabase for analysis purposes.

I have a Points FC and a Polygons FC. For each point, I want to get the TYPE value from the intersecting polygon.

Sample fake data:

Bud_4-1724684162936.png

Bud_3-1724683805484.png

(The selections are just for demonstration purposes. I will remove the selections when doing the analysis.)

The polygons overlap each other.

I don't want to generate duplicate points; I want the number of points to stay at 53. I don't want to concatenate the TYPE values of overlapping polygons into a single delimited value in Points.TYPE_FROM_POLYGON. 

I want to choose what overlapping polygon to use for each point. I’d use a Polygon.RANK field to prioritize what polygon will be used in the case of overlaps.  A rank of 1 is high.

1. G
  2. H
  3. A
  4. B
  5. F
  6. I
  7. C
  8. D
  9. E

For example, the selected point (OID=100) would intersect polygons G and H. Due to the ranking, G would be used in Points.TYPE_FROM_POLYGON, not H.

Question:

Using a geoprocessing tool (not Python), how can I use the values in the Polygons.RANK field to choose what overlapping polygon will be used to populate Points.TYPE_FROM_POLYGON?

Sample file geodatabase data is attached in a .zip.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos