Follow Feature

07-24-2019 06:49 AM
AimeeWheatley
New Contributor II

I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.4, after migrating from Arcmap 10.7. Arcmap easily allowed you to create annotation with the "Follow Feature" tool, and to curve said annotation to the road. I see that Pro has the Follow Feature tool, but I can't find the option to curve it. As a result, any road labels created via the Follow Feature tool is straight and doesn't follow the curve in the road...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This thread does not answer you question, but maybe someone from ESRI can update the timeline on getting full annotation equivalency in Pro compared to ArcMap (e.g. version where missing features are planned to be added to Pro)?

https://community.esri.com/message/697549-create-annotation-in-pro-20-create-straight-curved-and-fol...

0 Kudos
AimeeWheatley
New Contributor II

Thanks Michael! I saw that thread and was hoping that since its 2 years old and 4 versions later, that ESRI would have improved on this functionality and I was just missing it. I'll bump that thread and see if anything is happening with it.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aimee,

This is something that is part of the development work for 2.5. For now, my suggestion for creating curved annotation that follows a feature (note: there are probably a few approaches):

1. Create curved annotation, and make sure the baseline extends a bit beyond the text.
  2. Switch to the Annotation edit tool and right-click on the feature you want to follow and choose "Follow this feature".
  3. The annotation will curve and follow the feature. At this point you can drag the annotation along to feature to place it where it needs to go.

Here is a video of the above steps:

I hope this helps. Thanks!

-Scott

0 Kudos