Folder structure for shared Pro and Map projects

02-11-2019 11:07 AM
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

We're going to be living with concurrent ArcMap and ArcPro projects for many years. It would be good to have best practice or at least suggested folder structure(s) for projects that want or need to use both of these products at the same time on the same data and maps. What have you tried already, and from that experience what works and what doesn't?

Keep in mind there's never going to be a realized ideal. Meaning: please don't turn into a litany of complaint thread. Both products have deep assumptions about folder structure that can't be easily changed. Recognizing that starting point, what practical things can we do to make using the two together somewhat more efficient and productive?

(That said, please do feel free to link to other places, Ideas for instance, where those itchy things have potential for change.) 

Tags (1)
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Matt... Is the data for read access only or is there going to be active editing of gdb's in one or both platforms?  I presume the needs go beyond just trying to save disk space.  (I can smell problems already)

0 Kudos
MattWilkie3
Occasional Contributor II

Active editing by both. Conserving disk space is nice but not essential. Avoiding data duplication is highly desirable -- specifically the headache of trying to remember which feature class or table in which location is the most current, and merging updates between.

0 Kudos
ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

For "what have you already tried", do not use a toolbox to store tools/models/scripts that will be used in both ArcMap and Pro. Meaning, if you have toolbox items that ArcMap needs to run, then do not store any tools in it that Pro will use. Do not use toolboxes stored in a geodatabase, only create and use file toolboxes (outside the gdb). I did not do it this way and everything got wrecked and I had to start over. 

Pro creates a litany of files/folders when you create a project. I still set up and manage GDB's and data outside all of those erroneous files a project creates. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Matt

A small project. 

Data is redundantly located and locally stored. 

Sorry I can't help, if you have to work with servers that don't sit right beside you.

Storage is cheap

Redundancy is good.

Version control?  I am in control so it makes things much easier.

If I were working with ArcMap... which I don't anymore... I would have another main folder called ArcMap_projects and this structure would be replicated in it

Works for me, never lost anything (may have had to email a relative to send me back a zip on occasion )

Hope it helps

A