FMV, Video Multiplexer CRS

09-21-2021 06:59 AM
Labels (2)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using a Virb Ultra 30 to capture video of buried assets, and I want to georefence them using the metadata and the multiplexer tool.

I cannot find anything in the documentation about the CRS needed. I know Lat/Long will work but can I use a difference CRS?

I.e. British National Grid

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You may need to contact your Garmin rep for that.  The Virb is more intended for being used as an Action Cam.  But it should be capturing  your location as it has built in GPS.  I would speculate some sort of internal setting.  

However, why would you want to capture video of a buried asset location?  I mean why video?  Seems over kill AND it takes up a lot of space. 

Perhaps your better option would be to use Collector or Field Maps.  That way you can collect Georeferenced photos, audio, or video right from your Smartphone or tablet. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh I know the garmin can't use a different projection, I was going to ammend the metadata afterwards (by "was going to", I have done and all is well in WGS840.

As to why, evidence of placement and proper working before being backfilled. Client's demands, not mine. But I can see the point.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I work for a Generation and Transmission company. We have buried assets, lines, marker balls, splice points, vaults.  We use still photos for all that.  However, to that end if the client needs video for the evidence of proper working order then you may want to try it with collector. 

With Collector you could generate a point at the site and attach photos and videos quite rapidly.

Or you could generate that at points you generate in the office before going into the field. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am aware of that, and the client had that explained to them.

They're already utilising Field Maps, as set up by myself. I do know what I'm doing.

The question isn't why do it this way, it's can FMV in ArcGIS Pro take coordinate sytems other than WGS84?

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
0 Kudos