Select to view content in your preferred language

Finding X and Y coordinates for Air Quality Data

03-12-2024 02:59 PM
KathrynSie
New Contributor

I retrieved an air quality dataset on a state website. Unfortunately, I cannot map it on ArcGIS Pro via IDW. The dataset has no x and y coordinates. Is there a way I can get x and y coordinates on ArcGIS? I tried these steps:

KathrynSie_1-1710280368960.png

2. Add the dataset and go to Geocode Table

KathrynSie_2-1710280463599.png

3. Choose ArcGIS World Geocoding Service

KathrynSie_3-1710280529120.png

4. Choose "more than one field"

KathrynSie_4-1710280584574.png

5. Then I am stucked. The dataset I used does not have any of these information.

KathrynSie_5-1710280637634.png

6. These are the variables in my dataset. There is no way for me to contact anyone in the state website. Can anyone help me?

KathrynSie_0-1710280214254.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SeaRM
by
New Contributor III

I think you need another dataset with XY coordinates or points where this information was taken.

0 Kudos
KathrynSie
New Contributor

This dataset was download from NYC Data website. They provide no way to contact them to get x y coordinates

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@KathrynSie , It looks like some of the names in the "Geo Place Name" field are neighborhoods or city names and this field could be mapped to the 'Address or Place' field in the Geocode Table pane. You will want to clean up the field names in the spreadsheet before attempting to geocode it, like removing spaces and replacing them with underscores. You should consider adding the following fields to the spreadsheet to help improve the geocoding results: state, city, county, zip code. If you use just the "Geo Place Name" field you will want to review the results in the Rematch Addresses pane as you may have multiple candidates with the same score and would need to take a look at the values in the Addr_type, Type, and Rank fields to help select the appropriate candidate. The smaller numbers in the Rank field represent higher-ranked features. Rank is used to sort results for ambiguous queries such as Lincoln, in which no additional information (state) is available. Rank values are based on population or feature type.

You can also test out searching for the value in the "Geo Place Name" field in the Locate pane and viewing the details of the results that are returned by right-clicking a result and selecting Show Details to get an idea of the result details you would see in the Rematch Addresses pane after geocoding the table.