Select to view content in your preferred language

find duplicates

Jump to solution
04-25-2023 07:54 AM
temprobertcottreau131313
Occasional Contributor II

Is there an easy way to find duplicate (same location) points in a single feature class/shapefile?

I only have a Standard license so can't access Find Identical.

Thanks to all.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

Try using Add Spatial Join setting the Target and Join Features to the same point feature class with the Intersect match option. The Join_Count field will display the number of matches and 2 or more signals an intersect. You can then select intersecting features with a Select interactive tool and then expand the widget and select features.

BarryNorthey_0-1682439203909.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In reviewing this Esri Community post here, it seems that if you use the Find Identical GP tool with the SHAPE field as the parameter and it shows it does work with a Standard license.

0 Kudos
temprobertcottreau131313

the tool is shown as locked in my toolbox window and the message pops up that this tool is not licensed.

I have Standard license of ArcGIS pro 2.7.1

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah I see.  I believe at ArcGIS Pro 3.0 or 3.1, the licensing changed to include all license levels.  Can you upgrade from ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1 to ArcGIS Pro 3.x?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

It's a bit of a workaround but you could spatial join the layer to itself and use the JOIN_COUNT >= 1 to identify the colocated points. 

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

Try using Add Spatial Join setting the Target and Join Features to the same point feature class with the Intersect match option. The Join_Count field will display the number of matches and 2 or more signals an intersect. You can then select intersecting features with a Select interactive tool and then expand the widget and select features.

BarryNorthey_0-1682439203909.png

SanneMikkelsen
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for the solution, I could not get Find Identical to work properly

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Or you could create a Geodatabase Topology with the Points Must be Disjoint rule to find those points that are coincident...

0 Kudos
temprobertcottreau131313

thanks to all for the suggested work arounds

0 Kudos