Select to view content in your preferred language

Find distance between multiple points

08-04-2023 12:51 AM
Labels (2)
ASw93
by
Occasional Contributor

I have a feature class of 2 million points.  For every point, I want to find any points that are within 1 mile of radius of it, and then the distance to those points, and output that detail to a new feature class. From doing it in other software, I think the output feature class is expected to be ~900 million records, but now I am looking to do this in ArcGIS Pro. How can I achieve it?

I attempted to use Buffer for the 1 mile radius and then Spatial Join to those buffers, but I just get a "out of memory error". I also attempted to use Spatial Join but use the within 1 mile distance parameters, but also get the same error. This runs in 10 minutes using other software without issues. Is there a better method?

1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Generate Near Table (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Near (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

are your other non-code options, but I suspect it will fail with the same error.  Running the tool outside of an active Pro session in a script may work,

tiling in to obvious groupings may be useful if you have any clustering in the data, but that depends on the existing spatial pattern

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos