Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Template dimension question

06-13-2023 11:49 AM
DominicRoberge2
Frequent Contributor

Hi

I created a feature template (building layout 101'x193') that I would like to use across many states. But I noticed that the dimensions are different if using the template in South Dakota Vs Nebraska

let's say I create the template in SD, if I use it in NE, then the dimensions are (104x200), IA I get (106x204).

My question is: is it possible to create a feature template that will return CONSISTENT dimensions regardless of the state you are in?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I wonder if what you're seeing with different dimensions in different states has to do with your coordinate system and distortions if using a projected coordinate system.

0 Kudos
DominicRoberge2
Frequent Contributor

yes most likely, but would you know of a way to create a feature (101'x193') using feature template regardless of where you are?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So I used Web Mercator Auxillary Sphere for my Map View, created a new feature class with the same coordinate system, then created a 101'x193' polygon feature, selected that one polygon and created a preset template for the measured polygon.  THEN created new features using the preset template all across the US and Australia.  Measured the width and length of each polygon - 101'x193'.  That seems to work...

0 Kudos
DominicRoberge2
Frequent Contributor

Yes, but my problem is that I also need to add lines based on survey data (see image below. Back of property line is 95', if I use the Edit/Distance tool and type 95... it doesn't match).

I which we could have the option to CHOOSE between Planar and Geodesic when editing Web Mercator Auxillary Sphere data

DominicRoberge2_0-1686860903483.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I understand Dominic - you may want to consider adding an ArcGIS Pro Idea for the option to choose between planar and geodesic when using the Web Mercator coordinate system.  That way others who feel similar may vote it up.

0 Kudos
DominicRoberge2
Frequent Contributor

will do. Thanks @Robert_LeClair  for looking into this👍