Failed to execute (TableToExcel) - ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3

10-15-2019 10:32 PM
PaulDunn3
New Contributor II

I created a small table (less than 200 rows) then attempted to export to Excel. Table to Excel tool consistently fails.

If send the tool script with my parameters to the Python window and run the tool, the following error results - it is the same and repeatable:

import arcpy
arcpy.conversion.TableToExcel("thesisHistAnalysis", r"C:\Users\PCD\Documents\ArcGIS\Projects\Thesis\thesisHistAnalysis.xlsx", "ALIAS", "DESCRIPTION")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\conversion.py", line 99, in TableToExcel
    raise e
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\conversion.py", line 96, in TableToExcel
    retval = convertArcObjectToPythonObject(gp.TableToExcel_conversion(*gp_fixargs((Input_Table, Output_Excel_File, Use_field_alias_as_column_header, Use_domain_and_subtype_description), True)))
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 498, in <lambda>
    return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True))
arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\TableToExcel.py", line 306, in <module>
    arcpy.GetParameter(3))
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\TableToExcel.py", line 171, in table_to_excel
    fields = get_field_defs(in_table, use_domain_desc)
  File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\ArcToolbox\Scripts\TableToExcel.py", line 123, in get_field_defs
    subtypes = arcpy.da.ListSubtypes(in_table)
OSError: thesisHistAnalysis

Failed to execute (TableToExcel).

Is there another approach - maybe a pandas or similar solution if the ESRI script does not work? Is ther a way to troubleshoot ESRI Python that previously operated as anticipated? Are there requirements wrt the table itself that could be related to the error?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I might recommend upgrading the latest version of ArcGIS Pro (2.4.2) and running the workflow again. I know that there have been some improvements in the Excel tools in the latest version

What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.4—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation - This takes to a specific section that mentions the Excel information.

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A view of the table might help. It looks like something to do with field names.

0 Kudos
PaulDunn3
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Paul, it could be that because the table appears to be a joined table.

Have you tried exporting it to a new table to make the join permanent prior to using Table to Excel.  Can't find any documentation on how joined data are handled (if it is), not how it would handle those field names

0 Kudos
PaulDunn3
New Contributor II

I'll look into this but I do not think this happened with other related tables in this geodatabase. Outside of ESRI products, ER tables are not an issue wrt exporting data.

0 Kudos
PaulDunn3
New Contributor II

I did create a copy to the geodatabase and the tool worked. I do not remember the difference between the table types? Why a copy is exported and a table query is not but it must be a nuance I should have remembered.

0 Kudos