failed to create new features

Jump to solution
10-25-2021 03:47 PM
WahkiakumGIS
New Contributor III

I am using Arc Pro 2.8.2

I have a site address point layer with lots of attributes that will always be blank, but I have to keep them then I have a bunch of attrubutes I use.

I don't like null values, so I changed my settings to only allow null values for a few fields.

Then I disabled null values for the other fields.

I created domains for as many fields as I could and when I try to create a site address point I get an error of, "Failed to create new features, value doesn't fall within domain".

I would like to create the feature, then select the correct domain from the drop down menus I created afterwards. In most cases a default domain won't make sense.

I tried creating a domain called "Placeholder" that I could use as the default domain then I could change them after the feature is created, but some of them are not saving and I don't know why.

See the attachement for more information, The attributes with domains that I couldn't save as a default of "Placeholder" are highlighted in red.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WahkiakumGIS 

If you set the Enforce attribute validation editing option to off, you should be able to create features that don't fall within the domain.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/change-general-editing-tool-settings.htm#ESRI_...

Does that help?

-Scott

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using Alter Domain (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation to do the alterations?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
WahkiakumGIS
New Contributor III

Yes I was using the documentation. I found that what I was trying to save as the placeholder domain exceeded the character length. Once I reduced the number of characters I was able to save the placeholder domain.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WahkiakumGIS 

If you set the Enforce attribute validation editing option to off, you should be able to create features that don't fall within the domain.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/change-general-editing-tool-settings.htm#ESRI_...

Does that help?

-Scott

0 Kudos
WahkiakumGIS
New Contributor III

Hi Scott,

I made the changes you suggested and now I am able to create features and enter the attributes afterward without having to use any placeholder domains at all. Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.

LorraineFuller_0-1635256531890.png