fail to open CSV

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to open a CSV with 93 records and 11 columns but am getting this error.. any ideas what could be causing this?

clt_cabq_0-1715615688613.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clt_cabq

Update: situation resolved - this article points to some changes at v3.2 that change how Pro handles tabular/text file data and points to settings that should be changed via the Options page. Took me a couple of tries, and the fix finally took when I removed the .csv file from my project and then added it back in again, which is a little bizarre but ArcGIS be like that sometimes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

May be try converting the CSV to an Excel Worksheet, check the column(s) datatype and then use the tool 'Table to Excel'. 

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

it means you have an integer field that is way to long.  

Create a table and use the .csv to fill in the attribute names.  Change the integer field to a string with a length of 255.  Make sure none of the  field has a length of 8000.  All need to be 255 or less

then load it using Load Data

0 Kudos
clt_cabq

@RobertBorchert that isn't the case here, which is about what I had thought it was initially but some other research pointed to this article and information about some settings (as described in my response to @Ed_ ) . Situation is resolved now, but thanks for your suggestion!

0 Kudos
clt_cabq

Update: situation resolved - this article points to some changes at v3.2 that change how Pro handles tabular/text file data and points to settings that should be changed via the Options page. Took me a couple of tries, and the fix finally took when I removed the .csv file from my project and then added it back in again, which is a little bizarre but ArcGIS be like that sometimes.

Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

As a side note, when I work with CSVs I usually bring it in as a Geodatabase table using the Table to Geodatabase tool I usually avoid bringing in CSVs as is using Add Data

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

good info I will have to check my settings.  Have not imported a csv since I upgraded

0 Kudos