Extrude Between

04-03-2019 02:52 AM
IvanoGasco
New Contributor II

After several attempts to extrude a volume between 2 TINs always resulting in an empty multipatch. I've changed the ouput feature class from my geodatabase to a folder where the TINs are and, finally, I obtained a result.

Seems that the tool is not able to write features whitin a geodatabase. Could this be a BUG?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could be, but the help topic and the parameter example in the code example seem to depend on the workspace for inputs and outputs.  Was your input featurelayer in the same folder as the tin's?

Extrude Between—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
IvanoGasco
New Contributor II

The input layer to be extruded is in the geodatabase while the TINs are in a separate folder.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It could be a bug or the documentation needs clarification.  If the input layer (lyrx or shapefile) were in the same folder as the tin I imagine there are no issues either.

If the workspace and destination location for the result needs to be in the same location as the tin's, then it should be stated in the help topic.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ivano,

I'm able to output a multipatch to a file geodatabase with the Extrude Between tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2. What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using? 

0 Kudos
IvanoGasco
New Contributor II

Hi Lauren,

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the update, Ivano!

A few additional questions that might identify where the issue is coming from:

• Are we writing to a file geodatabase, a personal geodatabase, an enterprise geodatabase? I'm betting a file geodatabase, but always good to confirm!
  • Is the file geodatabase local on your machine? Or on a network location?
  • Can other tools write output to the same file geodatabase?
  • Have we tried writing to a different file geodatabase?
  • Do any errors come up when we try to output to a file geodatabase? Or just an empty output?
  • Any screenshots you can post?

Fingers crossed this clarifies where the issue is coming from! If not, it might be a good idea to contact Support Services, if possible.

0 Kudos
IvanoGasco
New Contributor II

Sorry for the late reply. 

• Are we writing to a file geodatabase, a personal geodatabase, an enterprise geodatabase? File geodatabase
  • Is the file geodatabase local on your machine? Or on a network location? The file geodatabase in on a server
  • Can other tools write output to the same file geodatabase? Other tools have no problem
  • Have we tried writing to a different file geodatabase? I'll try to write to a new geodatabase
  • Do any errors come up when we try to output to a file geodatabase? Or just an empty output? No error pop up. Just an empty feature class
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III

Could be an issue with the TINs. Can you post a screen capture of the surfaces?  There should be 2.5D TINs or surfaces - non self intersecting, not enclosing a volume.  Can you perform CUT/FILL and get a volume number as a result?

0 Kudos