Extremely long wait when importing an .mxd into ArcGIS Pro...

Jump to solution
01-05-2015 06:55 AM
JohnReese1
New Contributor II

I have imported muplitple .mxd files into ArcGIS Pro and on average, it takes 25-30 minutes to import and load the layers. My geodatabase connection has already been created and everything seems to be in working order. After the initial load time, everything works and seems to operate as expected with little to no delay.

The geodatabase being used as the data source is on an Oracle platform and I have the 64-bit client preceding the 32-bit client within the path, separated with a semi-colon.

I can't determine what, if anything I am doing wrong. However, I'm sure there is something I'm missing and I am curious if anyone else has encountered the same issue and has figured out what was causing the delay?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

I assume you seem reasonable load times when opening this map in ArcMap?  We have not seen opening times this lengthy in Pro before.  I'd suggest that you log an incident with Esri Support Services for a thorough evaluation of the situation.

Craig Williams

Product Engineer

Esri

View solution in original post

7 Replies
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

I assume you seem reasonable load times when opening this map in ArcMap?  We have not seen opening times this lengthy in Pro before.  I'd suggest that you log an incident with Esri Support Services for a thorough evaluation of the situation.

Craig Williams

Product Engineer

Esri

JohnReese1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Craig! The load times are reasonable when opening the same .mxds in ArcMap. I will open a ticket with Esri Support Services soon, and post any answers I may get.

0 Kudos
Jeff-Reinhart
New Contributor III

I would disagree that this is counted as a "solution". It says nothing about what the actual resolution to the problem was.

0 Kudos
RebeccaBasquez1
New Contributor II

@JohnReese1 I know this is an old post, but I'm seeing the same issue. Did you get a solution from ESRI support?

Jeff-Reinhart
New Contributor III

I am running into the same problem. Some details on the ArcGIS side:

• Importing into an existing APRX that has no project modifications from the standard build.
  • MXD to import was saved in 10.8.
  • Data sources are all intact and point to the GDB created as part of the Pro project.
  • MXD Scale Settings are customized web zoom levels.
  • MXD contains several group layers, each has Scale Ranges set for web zoom levels.
  • Group layers contain:
    • Polygon layers with simple symbology (Single symbol with Simple Fill Symbol)
    • Polygon layer labels with Expressions and halo Text Symbols
    • Standard Annotation (not feature linked)

Pro is using about 970 MB of memory and 0.5% CPU. Total memory usage on my machine while processing is averaging 46% memory and 20% CPU (our software updater was handling some Windows updates at the time, but this is far from maxed out). Going on 45 minutes now for the import.

This is for a cache build for a web service. Sure hope this finishes. Would rather not have to rebuild.

0 Kudos
Jeff-Reinhart
New Contributor III

I had my MXDs mixed up. The one I was importing had network data sources. When I changed the data sources to a local GDB, that fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

I found Route Event Layers were extremely slow in some versions of Pro, like 2.9.12. Removing the geoprocessing history from the FC metadata helped a lot, but it was still slow compared to other versions, so it was clearly a bug.

Route Event Layers — Slow performance in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.12, but not in 2.6.8

Maybe upgrading to a newer version of Pro would help.

0 Kudos