Exporting Webmap to ArcGIS Online Alters Time Attributes of Data

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 10:20 AM
dzsiegel
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I am working to export time-enabled (year level) data as a webmap to ArcGIS Online. However, when exporting my map to ArcGIS Online, my year fields are converted to mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.s and then lose 7 or 8 hours (I'm located on the west coast, so this seems to be UTC-8). Attached are two screenshots between ArcGIS Pro and AGOL. 

For reference, the initial data was uploaded in XLSX format, then XY points and lines were created. The data type is listed as Double, despite the field only containing 4 visible digits (See third screenshot).

I have tried multiple conversion types using the convert time field tool that all wind up reconverted to mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.s - 8 hours after export:

• YYYY to date; time zone issue persists
  • YYYY to mm/dd/yyyy; time zone issue persists
  • Time YYYY to text YYYY; time zone issue persists
  • Time YYYY to SHORT YYYY; time zone issue persists

I have also tried:

• Changing the time extent in the time tab for layer properties for the feature points and lines to 6/15/yyyy, but the time zone issue persists
  • Changing the data itself to 6/15/yyyy, but the data is imported as YYYY then converted to 12/31/yyyy 4:00pm of previous year when exported to AGOL. 

Thank you in advance for anyone's help...I'm getting pretty desperate here as I've been struggling with this for a week. It is the last piece of a public history project that is practically complete...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh, that is strange.

Could you just do a field calculation to update all the AGOL data? It's not a perfect solution, but it's at least an easy one. You can calculate the field directly in AGOL, from the layer's Data tab.

jcarlson_0-1649959976808.png

Then just use a SQL expression like date_start + 1, which will add 1 day to the current value. Just swap "date_start" for whatever the field name really is.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

AGOL accounts for your timezone offset when accessing a service. Pro, however, does not (or at least, mine doesn't).

The time data isn't actually altered, since the underlying data is just an integer, but some of the issues you describe are strange.

When you say the data "is imported as YYYY then converted to 12/31/yyyy", what process are you describing?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
dzsiegel
New Contributor II

Hi Josh, thanks for your reply.

Sorry about the imprecise language, I don't quite have a good ArcGIS/GIS vocabulary. As far as that import export line, I tried copying and changing some of the data in one of my XLSX files and following the same process to get to AGOL. So, for example, I changed all of the years in my initial table to 6/15/YYYY, trying to get as far away from 1/1/YYYY so the 8 hours offset would mean nothing. However, when I upload the data into ArcGIS Pro, it showed only as YYYY for some reason. Then, when I uploaded the feature points layer based on that data to AGOL, the result shows as 12/31/(YYYY - 1)--or more precisely (1/1/YYYY - 8 hours).

I'm not really sure what to try to get around that timezone offset, especially when the data is doing weird things..

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh, that is strange.

Could you just do a field calculation to update all the AGOL data? It's not a perfect solution, but it's at least an easy one. You can calculate the field directly in AGOL, from the layer's Data tab.

jcarlson_0-1649959976808.png

Then just use a SQL expression like date_start + 1, which will add 1 day to the current value. Just swap "date_start" for whatever the field name really is.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
dzsiegel
New Contributor II

It's been a rough week, and I thought, if I could just get one thing to go right, I would be very happy. This solves my problem and I'm very thankful for you taking the time. 

On another note, boy have I encountered lots of hiccups going from ArcGIS Pro to AGOL...symbology, custom expressions, data...I'll be very wary in the future.

Cheers,
Dylan