Select to view content in your preferred language

Exporting a feature class with a related table not saving attributes (feature or bug?)

Jump to solution
06-05-2024 11:55 AM
Labels (1)
DeanAnderson2
Occasional Contributor II

I want to check if this issue is  a "feature" or a "bug". I am exporting a feature class with attributes from a related table.  I figured out a workaround so will also include that. I am using ArcPro 3.3. 

What I have:  I have a point feature class which  contains many internet service point locations.   I also have a table with just internet copper services.  Not all point locations have a copper service but some can have two-three (different providers).  I use JOIN (only keeping those that match) using a field called "Location_Id".  When I look at the attributes everything looks great.  I see the attributes and values from both the feature class and related table as expected.

The Issue:  When I export the results to a new feature class "Data --> Export Features" the new feature class contains the field definitions of the join table but all the fields have "null" values. 

Work Around:  My work around was to create a new empty  feature class containing the field definitions for the feature class and joined table.  By using the editor cut/paste I was able to obtain the results I wanted.  I did not use Append as the cut/paste worked. 

Question:  Is the export data  behavior I found a feature or a bug?  I have not been able to find any comments on this.  I was able to replicate the issue and work around with different feature classes and related tables. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Question for you - in the Project->Options->Application->Map and Scene, if you go the Query Layers and text files item, check the box for "Use field types that are compatible with ArcGIS Pro 3.1 and earlier releases when adding query layers and text files" - then try your workflow again.  Do you still get NULL values when exporting to a new feature class?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Question for you - in the Project->Options->Application->Map and Scene, if you go the Query Layers and text files item, check the box for "Use field types that are compatible with ArcGIS Pro 3.1 and earlier releases when adding query layers and text files" - then try your workflow again.  Do you still get NULL values when exporting to a new feature class?

0 Kudos
DeanAnderson2

Wow - that fixed it.   Thanks!  Funny thing.  This entire project creation, data loading, etc.  was all done using ArcPro 3.3 start to finish.  So why did I need to check this checkbox ?   Anyway, I am not sure I care. 

I NEVER would have found this.  Thanks again.  

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The new field types came out at ArcGIS 3.2 from the geodatabase team so it's been there for a while.  You can read more about it here - glad it worked out!!

0 Kudos
DeanAnderson2

I am familiar with the 3.2 field changes. But... if I did EVERYTHING in ArcPro 3.3 (created my project and map, created all feature classes, imported all tables from excel) then why is this need to be checked ?   Nothing I am doing was done in ArcPro 3.1 (or earlier).  I am just curious.  

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure why but one thing I would look at is the attribute fields in the attribute table.  Hover over the field name.  Are any of the attribute fields of a 64-bit type?

Related - what type of geodatabase are you using?  File Geodatabase?  Enterprise Geodatabase?  If enterprise, what RDMBS?

0 Kudos