Exported PDF layouts appear blank when inserted into multi-page PDF files (ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0)

Jump to solution
07-15-2022 09:58 AM
Adziegiel_NRG
New Contributor II

After updating to Pro 3.0.0 I'm noticing an issue with exported map layouts. Exported layouts appear to be fine after exporting to PDF - until I try to insert or compile them into a multi-page PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro. When inserted into an existing PDF document, the exported layout page shows up completely blank.

My layouts typically contain map elements, text (Tahoma and/or Arial), and png and/or jpeg image files. 

The issue remains whether the PDF document contains pages from other sources or is only made of exported map layouts. Oddly - if the document consists only of layout exports, the first page will appear as normal, but any added pages will show up blank, which seems to suggest Adobe is having some kind of issue processing the file. I've tried embedding fonts, not embedding fonts, and exporting as an image, to no avail. I've tried creating a fresh Project file and creating new layouts from scratch to see whether it is an issue related to exporting from the prior Arc Pro version. I've checked Adobe for updates and ran a repair installation - no luck.

The only workaround I have found is to use Print Layout rather than Export Layout, as was suggested in a previous thread addressing a similar issue. It's not ideal, but passable for now. Has anyone else experienced this issue or found a solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeartlandEcological
New Contributor

The most recent ArcGIS Pro patch solved the issue for me (3.0.1). I'd suggest updating if you have not already.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
HeartlandEcological
New Contributor

I am experiencing this issue exactly as you described, beginning following the update to 3.0.0. I also fiddled with the PDF export settings and updated Adobe, neither of which solved the problem. Next troubleshooting step was going to be creating new layout templates, but it seems this did not help you.

I have no solution, but another work around I've found is opening the offending PDF and save using "reduce file size" in Adobe.

Adziegiel_NRG
New Contributor II

Sorry to hear you are in the same situation! Thanks for the tip on the workaround you found. I just tested it. It worked for me too, and should hopefully allow others on my team to fix the files without needing me to re-export.

0 Kudos
Fidelity_NationalTitle
New Contributor III

Here is the existing case for the matter: BUG-000150564 Exporting PDF's from ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and combining them in Adobe causes them to turn blank

I have had success exporting as JPGs, then combing with other PDFs using Acrobat

HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having the exact same problem. My exports look fine, but when imported or pasted into a multi-page PDF, they appear blank. The workaround we've found is to optimize the exported layout in Adobe before pasting it into the multi-page document. This is an extra step for our internal customers that I would like to be able to avoid, however. It seems like maybe the PDFs are not really flattened even though I chose the flattened PDf option.

We tested using adaptive compression instead of JPEG but the result was the same.

I tried looking up the bug shared by @Fidelity_NationalTitle but I can't seem to find it. I'd love to know the status.

Hope this gets fixed soon!

- Holly
0 Kudos
Fidelity_NationalTitle
New Contributor III

Not much detail yet. But this is the bug that an Esri technician attached mine to: https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/BUG-000150564 

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. I am running into a different issue with PDF exports in 3.0, but our organization commonly places PDFs in documents this way too.

0 Kudos
Hatsocks
New Contributor III

Count me in -- I'm having this problem too.  I've been reducing the pdf or exporting as jpeg instead, but it would be nice if the pdf export just worked properly!  Thanks to @Fidelity_NationalTitle for getting ESRI onto it.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Gah, forgot about this bug and sure enough. Tried to combine files in Acrobat today and this is what they look like. I really don't want to have to flatten my maps into raster.

rburkebsrc_0-1661523768941.png

0 Kudos
HeartlandEcological
New Contributor

The most recent ArcGIS Pro patch solved the issue for me (3.0.1). I'd suggest updating if you have not already.