Export to CAD - shape geometries change after export

01-21-2022 05:17 AM
Oykris
by
New Contributor II

Having used ArcGIS Pro to georeference a dwg file, I find that some of the shapes have been changed in the process of exporting the newly georeferenced file back to a dwg and opened in Autocad.

I am unclear as to whether this is an ArcGIS export issue or an Autocad issue, but given that the file looks fine before running it through the georeferencing process in ArcGIS I am assuming the former. Thanks! 

Before georeferencing (in Autocad):

Oykris_1-1642770899505.png

After georeferencing (in Autocad, hard to see, bit shapes are now "blobs"): 

Oykris_0-1642770873609.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I have not seen this happen but I also do not do this kind of process. To be clear, you are bringing in the dwg into ArcGIS Pro. Are you georeferencing the raw CAD file, converting to a geodatabase feature class, then exporting back to a dwg again? Or is it a different process? I would almost assume something is getting 'lost' in the conversion in ArcGIS, not on the AutoCAD side, but I don't know.

Could you do a different process where you export to a shapefile (or a different file that AutoCAD can read) and import that into AutoCAD and see if that looks 'normal'?

0 Kudos
Oykris
by
New Contributor II

Thanks @AdrianWelsh

Your are right about the process. I tried a number of options, including georeferencing the raw cad file and to convert it, but whichever method I tried the exported dwg always came out with issues. So I went back to Illustrator (where the original concept was developed) and began tweaking the lines. Turns out that items that are grouped seem to become altered as part of "passing the file through" ArcGIS Pro, as did forms with a fill colour. So, there we go. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ah I see. So when you ungroup the lines, do they behave properly?

0 Kudos