Export Profiles with no vertical exaggeration?

Jump to solution
11-02-2021 10:11 AM
DanielPhillipsTTU
New Contributor III

Hello all, 

Seeking the most efficient way to export an elevation profile (IE "slice" from DEM or similar), into an application such as autocad or illustrator (IE for use as an architectural drawing that is accurate reflection of the ground surface).  I'm aware of the outputs of the elevation profile tool, but there doesn't seem to be a way to constrain the aspect ratio or make the vertical/horizontal units display without some distortion/vertical exaggeration (IE when you scale the viewing window it scales the graph too).  Seems like this process should be simple, maybe I'm missing something?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielPhillipsTTU
New Contributor III

For future users with this question:  I discovered there is a way to export the profile as a feature from the graph that results from the exploratory 3D analysis.  It is added to the Local Scene and can be then exported using the "Export to CAD" GP tool.  This results in a "true" section.  I also found that Distance/Elevation data can be exported as a csv file and with a few additional excel functions ("CONCATENATE"), can be transformed using a precise exaggeration factor (applied to the elevation column), and the resulting concatenated data can then copied/pasted directly into into a CAD command prompt as a line or polyline feature. 

DanielPhillipsTTU_0-1635976224245.jpeg

DanielPhillipsTTU_1-1635976241121.jpeg

DanielPhillipsTTU_2-1635976267656.jpeg

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielPhillipsTTU
New Contributor III

No takers?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DanielPhillipsTTU ,

I'm not too sure about ArcGIS Pro, but it seems this is possible in the JSAPI Elevation Profile widget - is this a similar capability you are describing? See "uniform chart scaling".

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/widgets-elevation-profile/

This may be an enhancement request for ArcGIS Pro as I am not seeing that capability in the Profile Graph tool.

0 Kudos
DanielPhillipsTTU
New Contributor III

For future users with this question:  I discovered there is a way to export the profile as a feature from the graph that results from the exploratory 3D analysis.  It is added to the Local Scene and can be then exported using the "Export to CAD" GP tool.  This results in a "true" section.  I also found that Distance/Elevation data can be exported as a csv file and with a few additional excel functions ("CONCATENATE"), can be transformed using a precise exaggeration factor (applied to the elevation column), and the resulting concatenated data can then copied/pasted directly into into a CAD command prompt as a line or polyline feature. 

DanielPhillipsTTU_0-1635976224245.jpeg

DanielPhillipsTTU_1-1635976241121.jpeg

DanielPhillipsTTU_2-1635976267656.jpeg