Explode tool removes features in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
11-08-2018 10:07 PM
JoelMcKechnie1
New Contributor II

I need to explode all multi-part features in a feature class, editing in arcgis pro 2.2.3 (I want to avoid creating a new feature class using the multipart to singlepart‌).

Selecting all features, while the modify features > explode tool is active, still selects single-part features. If I run the tool on this selection, some features are removed, some multi-parts are not exploded and single-part features that it has selected as multi-part still appear as multi-part...

The same workflow in arcmap 10.5.1 worked perfectly, and I never had any of the issues described.

My solution at the moment is to run the multi-part to single-part tool, and use the output to select features containing the exploded layer before exploding.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug or am I doing something incorrectly to cause this?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

My best guess at what is going on...

1. You open the Explode tool and it asks you to make a selection: "Select one or more multipart features"
  2. You select the multipart feature and click the Explode button.
  3. At that point, the Explode tool is still active and you attempt to select one of exploded parts, but you can't.

This is because the Explode tool "Active select" can only select multipart features.

If you choose the Select tool from the Edit tab (not the Explode tool), are you then able to select the now singlepart feature?

After exploding a feature, the Explode "Active select" will remain active:

Click the Select tool so that is active:

Now the Explode "Active select" is no longer active and you should be able to select single part features again:

More info on Active select tools:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/select-features-for-editing.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_7FD51A6...

Does this work for you?

Thanks!

Scott

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichaelMorgan4
Occasional Contributor

I am seeing this issue continue in Arc Pro 2.4.0, with exploding individual multipart features. So if I select one multipart feature and run Explode, with my feature table on, the newly exploded features appear to be on the map and in the table, but I cannot select the features from the map, as if the geometry has somehow been dropped. If I restart Arc Pro, the features reappear and are selectable as individual features. This looks like a bug.

I should add that I am using the Explode tool with "Keep original feature after explode" unchecked.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

My best guess at what is going on...

1. You open the Explode tool and it asks you to make a selection: "Select one or more multipart features"
  2. You select the multipart feature and click the Explode button.
  3. At that point, the Explode tool is still active and you attempt to select one of exploded parts, but you can't.

This is because the Explode tool "Active select" can only select multipart features.

If you choose the Select tool from the Edit tab (not the Explode tool), are you then able to select the now singlepart feature?

After exploding a feature, the Explode "Active select" will remain active:

Click the Select tool so that is active:

Now the Explode "Active select" is no longer active and you should be able to select single part features again:

More info on Active select tools:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/editing/select-features-for-editing.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_7FD51A6...

Does this work for you?

Thanks!

Scott

MichaelMorgan4
Occasional Contributor

I guess this works for me. Hopefully this becomes "unconfused" in a future release, but probably not a priority. Thanks for the help.

IsobelDouglas
New Contributor

I am also having this issue but what has been said above doesn't help.  The explode feature just removes the whole mulitpart feature.  I have a whole lot of multipart features I want to be able to mass select and break everything into single features so I can calculate the area of each piece separately.  I can't use the multipart to singlepart tool.  Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Isobel,

Can you please clarify the behavior? What do you mean by "explode feature just removes the whole mulitpart feature"?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos