Select to view content in your preferred language

Excel into ArcGIS PRO - update values etc.

04-07-2022 09:01 AM
GIS_Rookie
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone! 

I'm wondering if there is a way to import excel file into ArcGIS PRO and occasionally update it and get some values to GIS. For example, I have to make a report with map, in this report need to be shown a values on geometry fields. Values would be in that excel file. File would be stored somewhere on PC. I would like to open that file and update values but not sure if changes would be seen in GIS. Maybe with join tool/function? Or is there a need for some kind of scripting or with the GIS tools would be enough? 

Another example, in excel file there is value from 1 to 5 (earthquake marks), somehow add that file into GIS and with range, and country district will change color (1 - blue, ... 5 - red etc.) by taking these values ​​into account.

Never stop learning
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you explored building a model in ModelBuilder?  The workflow you are describing can easily be done using a model or a python script.  Models can be a useful way of learning how to arrange the geoprocessing tools in order and accomplish automation if desired.  You can also export a model to a python script and schedule it in the Windows Task Scheduler to make it run on a schedule.

In order to assist you with the process, I need to ask a couple questions.  The feature class or "master" copy of your data that is being update, will it be used by other people or just you?  If being used by other people, is it inside your organization only or external users also? 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
GIS_Rookie
New Contributor II

Thanks for the answers @ABishop !

I have no experience working with modelbuilder. Will google it. 

In answer to your question, I would say that two people would use it. That means the file should be stored somewhere on the server, right?

Never stop learning
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello GIS_Rookie,

I am glad to help!  If you have a ArcGIS license, you pay for maintenance which unlocks the opportunity to use your account in ArcGIS Online to sign into the learning dashboard and take some lessons on how to use ModelBuilder.  I encourage you to do this!

To get you started, here is a link:  www.esri.com/training/catalog/57630433851d31e02a43eebc/ 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

With ArcGIS for Office you can add a map to your excel document, edit your excel table and and push the changes to an ArcGIS Online feature layer which can be opened in ArcGIS Pro. I think it would work perfectly for the second scenario that you outlined above.

ArcGIS for Office | Create Maps in Excel & Microsoft Products (esri.com)

tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III