Select to view content in your preferred language

Errors loading CAD files in ArcGIS Pro

07-29-2024 11:23 AM
Labels (1)
DylanWoods
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

I am working out of version 3.1, but I have been getting this error since 3.0.

I have an issue with some CAD files we receive from our vendors not loading into Pro. One of two things will happen: I will pull the CAD file and Pro will get stuck in an adding data loop, which forces me to have to close the app through task manager, or I will get an error message saying, "An external component has thrown an error". When I pull the same files into ArcMap they will draw despite the errors. The error in ArcMap will say there isn't a spatial reference. I have tried defining the projection on these CAD files, but they still won't load in Pro. Has anyone run into this issue and found a fix for it? 

Thanks for your time!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you using

CAD To Geodatabase (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and if not, how does it behave and do errors still exist?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DylanWoods
Emerging Contributor

No, I typically don't use that tool. I just pull in the Polyline layer of the CAD file into a map and export what I need to a feature class from there. I just tried it to see if it would work but it closed Pro with an error message saying the application has stopped working.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Dylan,

I had what I am guessing is a very similar issue but it only happened to me in 3.1 and with certain dgn cad files. My process is, I would load in the cad layer, save the project, close it, open it again, and it would not open (throwing that same error that you're seeing). Is this the process you're seeing?

I spent about a month on the phone with tech support and they basically told me I needed a new computer. After this happened to someone else in my organization, I realized that it was a software error (or we had the same computer). After upgrading to 3.2, my problems went away... (3.3 is working as expected too).

So, long story short, perhaps you could try upgrading to 3.2 or 3.3?

0 Kudos
DylanWoods
Emerging Contributor

I am excited to upgrade to the newer version of Pro because there are a lot of new features I want to test out, but unfortunately, we cannot at the moment. There is an issue with publishing online services to AGO/portal that is holding us back. Our DBA wants us to hold off until the issue is fixed. 

0 Kudos