Error when using subdivide polygon

03-01-2023 01:17 AM
merkesy
New Contributor II

Hi,

for a project I want to use ModelBuilder to create a tool that allows me to subdivide polygons into different sized polygons. Currently, I am performing a selection on a dataset and in the resulting selection I want to subdivide the remaining polygons. To do this, I use the Subdivide Polygons tool and in that the equal area subdivision method. There I fill in the area I need. Sometimes the execution of the division works without problems and the result is what I want. But when I run the same model again, it gives me the error that something unexpected happen when subdividing polygon. I have already rebuilt the model several times. But the error always occurred again. Does anyone happen to know what the reason could be? Or is there any another way to divide polygons into different sized areas?

Here is the error message:

merkesy_1-1677660899005.png

That's my current model:

merkesy_2-1677661733039.png

5 Replies
EvelynHsu
New Contributor III

According to the documentation of Subdivide Polygon tool (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/subdivide-polygon.htm), it expects the input to be a Feature Layer.

Using Select tool you will get the output as a Feature Class.

You might want to try adding a Create Feature Layer tool between the two steps, just to convert the resulting feature class into a feature layer.

OR use the Create Feature Layer as first step, then use Select Layer By Attribute, and feed the output to Subdivide Polygon.

0 Kudos
merkesy
New Contributor II

Thanks for your answer. I tried both ways multiple times, but sadly it still does not work correctly. Sometimes it runs the tool and I get an output sometimes it doesen't.

0 Kudos
EvelynHsu
New Contributor III

By "sometimes", do you mean each time the same input was given, but the tool still returned different outputs?

0 Kudos
AriIsaak1
New Contributor III

I'm having a similar problem. The tool seems to work fine when I choose Subdivision Type = Stacked blocks, but not Strips. Strips is the default so that's a bit weird.

0 Kudos
BruceRiesterer
New Contributor III

I am also having this problem with Subdivide Polygons on some large datasets.

An alternative that worked for me was the Generate Tessellation tool in Data Management.   The initial run covered my entire project area with uniform polygons.  I then used Pairwise Clip to extract the tessellation within my original polygons.

The clipping process resulted in some fragmented polygons, so I also ran the Multipart to SinglePart tool in Data Management to clean these up.

0 Kudos