Error overwriting feature service - reserved field names - cannot delete or rename

Jump to solution
08-01-2022 01:58 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I uploaded a feature class as a feature service from Pro. I then went to overwrite the layer after joining a few more fields with the Join Field tool. Now, I get error messages from Analyzer:

rburkebsrc_0-1659387051379.png

rburkebsrc_1-1659387061209.png

Here is the documentation for that error code, which suggests renaming or deleting the field. The problem is I didn't add those fields -- the join did, despite not checking them under Transfer Fields. There are also other fields in my dataset now that I did not select. I cannot rename or delete Shape_Area or Shape_Length and am now stuck unable to update my feature service.

I'm not really sure what an easy solution would be or how to prevent it from happening again but I'm all ears if anyone has ideas. I may have to export to a new feature class and attempt the join again, perhaps as a temporary join, before uploading. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I got it - for some reason, though I wasn't able to delete the fields from the fields view, I was able to delete them from the table view (noticed it lit up when I was on the way to the fields view).

rburkebsrc_0-1659390005394.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Delete is grayed out, and double-clicking or F2 in the field does not allow renaming:

rburkebsrc_0-1659387857536.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One option, in the Fields Designer, uncheck the visibility of the recently joined fields - Shape_Area, Shape_Length, and perhaps ObjectId from the join table schema.  Then try to overwrite the web feature layer again.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@Robert_LeClairI did try that, it still "sees" them.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - let's test a workflow where you export the joined feature class to a new feature class, then try to share as a web feature layer.  What is the result?  If this fails then in the new feature class, delete the 2nd pairs of reserved fields and then share as a web layer.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I got it - for some reason, though I wasn't able to delete the fields from the fields view, I was able to delete them from the table view (noticed it lit up when I was on the way to the fields view).

rburkebsrc_0-1659390005394.png