Error 001487 publishing new annotation layer to stand-alone ArcGIS server from ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
01-16-2023 09:04 AM
Labels (1)
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 to publish/overwrite an annotation Map Service on our stand-alone ArcGIS Server running 10.9.1 with all the current patches.  This morning I created a new annotation layer, added it to the map I publish from, and attempted to overwrite the existing Map Service to the ArcGIS Server.  At the end of the publishing process, I received an error message that the overwrite failed to publish the map service.  Upon looking at the log, the following error message was found: "StatusMessage: ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details." 

The server logs indicated the new Annotation failed to update the connection string for the new annotation layer.

LanceCole_1-1673888130510.png

The new annotation layer uses the exact connection string as the other annotation layers and is contained in the same Enterprise database dataset as the other annotation layers.  If I remove the new annotation layer, the map will publish to the ArcGIS Server without issue.  I created a new ArcGIS Pro project and added all the annotation layers into a new map from the same data connection with the same results.  The map will only publish without the new layer included.  It does not make sense that this is a connection string issue when all the data is from the same source.  There should be an issue with the older data as well.

One difference I did note, the other annotation layers are from ArcGIS Pro version 2.x and have not been updated. In comparison, the new annotation layer is from the 3.x release.

LanceCole_2-1673888540901.png

Any idea why this annotation layer will not publish?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

After discussing this with ESRI Support, it is known bug:

We did find that once a new annotation feature class is created on our enterprise geodatabase using 2.x, the data can be edited and updated using 3.x.  ArcGIS Pro 3.x maintains the annotation as 2.x unless specifically updated.  Unfortunately, you cannot create ArcGIS Pro 2.x annotation using 3.x and must have a system running 2.x available.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Uninstalled ArcGIS Pro 3.x on one system and reinstalled ArcGIS Pro 2.9.  Recreated the feature layer and labeling and generated the annotation layer to the Enterprise Geodatabase.  The problematic annotation layer now publishes to the Stand-alone ArcGIS 10.9.1 server without issue using the same data connection.

Is ArcGIS Pro 3.x annotation not supported on ArcGIS Server 10.9.1?  

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

After discussing this with ESRI Support, it is known bug:

We did find that once a new annotation feature class is created on our enterprise geodatabase using 2.x, the data can be edited and updated using 3.x.  ArcGIS Pro 3.x maintains the annotation as 2.x unless specifically updated.  Unfortunately, you cannot create ArcGIS Pro 2.x annotation using 3.x and must have a system running 2.x available.