ERROR 000308 Invalid field type..........but it really shouldn't be

Jump to solution
03-04-2022 06:43 AM
Labels (3)
JohnBStevenson
New Contributor

Hello,

I have an xlsx document that I am able to convert into a Standalone Table in ArcGIS Pro Version 2.9 and I would like to display it on a map, using my Longitude column as my X coordinates and my Latitude Column as my Y coordinates since just putting it on there as a standalone table doesn't do anything. Problem is, I'm trying to do it via Geoprocessing and for some reason it does not accept the columns as field types. I have the values formatted the way to do so, I've followed necessary instructions, and I do not know why this is happening. Is there something I'm missing, or is there a better way to do this? Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello John,

I would import he .xlsx into a file geodatabase first, then run "add x,y" geoprocessing tool to add the x,y fields.. if you want them in fields named Longitude and Latitude, use the field calculator to calculate the new x,y field data into the Longitude and Latitude fields.

Amanda Bishop, GISP

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello John,

I would import he .xlsx into a file geodatabase first, then run "add x,y" geoprocessing tool to add the x,y fields.. if you want them in fields named Longitude and Latitude, use the field calculator to calculate the new x,y field data into the Longitude and Latitude fields.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
JohnBStevenson
New Contributor

Thank you Amanda. I got it working!

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome!  Was my instruction a result of your solution?  If so, would you mind marking my suggestion as a solution?

Thank you,

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos