Select to view content in your preferred language

Enhancement Request...Default Project Folder

10-04-2016 05:39 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm noticing when Pro first start, it makes it more "obvious" to the use where the default "home" folder and GDB is, which is an improvement over how Arc Map presented that information. Is it possible, via some .ini or .xml setting, to modify that? For my organization, we enforce a strict GIS project folder hierarchy, as well as a default geodatabase schema. It would be handy, if upon Pro start up, I could globally enforce a folder/GDB output option that uses this schema/folder structure. Something similar to the way I could enforce enterprise paths when launching Explorer for ArcGIS.....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thomas,

It looks like on a project level, you can set the default geodatabase to something other than what was made for you. Check out this link:

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/change-a-project-s-settings.htm#GUID-E40436B0-4B13-4D...

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I see that. I'm looking at this from the point of view of administering 50+ users....we've had some real problems with the "default" arc map stuff going to users "My Documents", which is on a network share. Asking them to remember to redirect their default folder and GDB each time they start a new project is pretty unrealistic. Different users in different buildings, and we just don't have the resources to direct login scripts to take care of that. I'm thinking some sort of python/Arc Tool box thing "Before you start work hit this button" kind of deal. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The loudest bark gets heard https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas 

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Maybe not as robust as what you are asking, but can you set the ''Default geodatabase' option to 'Use the same geodatabase as the default for all projects'?

Change project settings—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Playing with the Project Template Option...wondering if there's more organization-specific customization available with this...like...a default Tool Box that has some of our common, use every project, tools and scripts? 

0 Kudos