Select to view content in your preferred language

End digitizing a feature with a right click

Jump to solution
03-27-2023 10:35 AM
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III

Hello.  How can I modify my ArcGIS Pro setting to finish digitizing a feature with a right click rather than a double left click?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

The command, esri_editing_FinishSketch, is mapped to F2. You could map it to a different keyboard key using an Accelerator, but not to any mouse buttons. 

It also appears on the editing toolbar:

Scott_Harris_0-1679942221797.png

Just curious, why are you needing to finish a sketch with the right mouse button?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

The command, esri_editing_FinishSketch, is mapped to F2. You could map it to a different keyboard key using an Accelerator, but not to any mouse buttons. 

It also appears on the editing toolbar:

Scott_Harris_0-1679942221797.png

Just curious, why are you needing to finish a sketch with the right mouse button?

0 Kudos
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III

I don't want any issues with if the double click isn't fast enough to trigger the action resulting in a staggered set of 2 vertices where a single one is desired necessitating a time consuming single vertex deletion or a vertex deletion along with a vertex move.  Additionally I would prefer to not need to know which vertex will be my last one while digitizing quickly.  Really having the functionality of typing F2 would is what I want in my right click.  It is a bummer this isn't a built in option, or really the default setting.  

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor
...necessitating a time consuming single vertex deletion or a vertex deletion along with a vertex move... 

Thanks for the additional info. Regarding your statement on deleting and moving a vertex being time consuming: maybe you know this already, but if the sketch is still active, you can enter into vertex editing mode by hovering over a vertex (or segment) until the cursor changes from sketch mode to vertex editing mode, and then move the vertex where you wanted to place it, or right click to delete it from the context menu:

vertex editing.gif

Another FYI, this feature can be turned off from the editing toolbar:

Scott_Harris_0-1679949649683.png

As for a reason why right-click isn't the default for finishing a sketch, I assume because the context menu has a lot of functionality while sketching.

Perhaps turning off double-click to finish a sketch, and strictly using F2 or the toolbar (or map esri_editing_FinishSketch to another key using Accelerator) is an alternative solution to unwanted vertices.

Scott_Harris_1-1679949905243.png

0 Kudos
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III

I accepted the solution here to close out the question - but the real answer for me is that no, you cannot ever modify the mouse click settings to end the digitization of a feature with a left click rather than a double right click or by typing F2.

0 Kudos