Encountered application error happens way too frequent

11-28-2017 11:33 AM
WilliamWang
Occasional Contributor

I have been experiencing this way too frequent. Every time when I open a project file (double click on the aprx, or open the software first then select project file), the software always lead me to application error.

To get around this problem, I have tried thus far is to find an aprx that would open, then go back and try to open the one I try earlier within the same instance. It does always work. What work the best is to reboot my PC and launch the project soon after the PC comes online.

Any recommended workaround besides rebooting or searching for an existing aprx that works?

I am running Pro 2.0.1 on window 10 pro 64 bit OS with 4 core 32 GB of RAM. and 4 GB of video card (the latest driver)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Have you run the Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.0?

ArcGIS Pro 2.0 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

If you're getting a serious application error, have you been submitting those including your email and a description?  These can be helpful in determining the issue - here is more info about that process: Report software errors—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

You should see error reports (.dmp files) located in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports

I'll message you to see if you can share those with us so that we can analyze them.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory

They aren't text file, so are pretty useless to the average user... when you click on the 'notify esri' or whatever button when you have a crash, does it actually go anywhere? since I have never had a report back from any report on any machine for any crash.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dan, I provided the link that explains the process, but have included the entire text here with the last paragraph in bold to answer your specific concern:

What happens when you submit an error report

After you send the report, it is initially reviewed by an automated process to determine if it has enough usable information in it and, if so, whether there is an existing report with the same issue. If there are no existing reports of the problem, a new record is created automatically in the Esri bug tracking system. If there is a previous record, the running tally of errors is incremented to indicate another one has occurred and the new error report is saved.

Esri engineers then review the bug system to identify and resolve the software errors. Error reports are typically addressed in software updates, but sometimes a fix must wait until a major release because it is deep-rooted. Sometimes Esri developers cannot fix the problem because the error report does not contain enough information or the report points to a location other than the cause of the error. To reduce the likelihood of these kinds of issues, make sure that any add-ins or custom utilities you have installed are compatible with your ArcGIS release. For example, a script that is designed for an older product may cause instability if you attempt to use it in a newer ArcGIS release. You should also check that your video card driver is updated to the most current version. It works best if you obtain the driver directly from the hardware manufacturer, rather than from Windows. In addition, save your work regularly to minimize loss.

Although there is a space for you to enter your email address when you submit the report, Esri engineers normally do not contact you, so you should not anticipate a response when you submit the form. However, in cases where an Esri engineer is highly confident in the cause of the error, you may receive an automated email recommending that you update your software to a newer version where the cause of the issue was addressed. As a general practice, you should stay up to date with the most current release of the software to get performance improvements and bug fixes.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes, that has never happened, probably since I am using upto date everything.  I guess they may amass similar reponses to flag potential sources that haven't been identified yet.  So in short... 

0 Kudos
WilliamWang
Occasional Contributor

Kory,

Thanks for writing back.

When I got the machine beginning of this year, I ran the requirement check prior to installing Pro. The machine met and exceeded the requirements. I also upgrade my video card drivers at least quarterly from the manufacturer manually.

I do fill out the application error report and send it back. Not sure what else I can say because my experience has been the software simply crashes when it try to load my project.

0 Kudos