Enable map image service with overwrite of established feature service

07-28-2021 02:46 PM
Labels (3)
Andrew_Lozano01
New Contributor

Hello All,

I'm working with ArcGIS Pro 2.8. Publishing a service to organization AGOL.

I have an established feature service published to my organization's AGOL, originally published in ArcGIS Pro 2.6. We've had a request for the layer, but as an image (map service). The original layer was published only as a feature service. 

I do not seem to have the option to include a map service with the feature. Although typically when I publish a map service, even an overwrite, the ability to include a feature is there.

Is this something expected? (not having an option to include a map image during a feature service overwrite?)

If so, would "Replace Web Layer" be a method workaround to maintain the original service?

There are a lot of users using the service, so it would be detrimental to have to create a new service and cause downstream clients issues.

Thank you all!

Andrew_Lozano01_1-1627506376156.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You cannot publish a map service to ArcGIS Online. Publishing a map service is only supported to a stand-alone ArcGIS Server. You can also publish a map image layer (which exposes a map service) to an ArcGIS Enterprise portal.

Is this something expected? (not having an option to include a map image during a feature service overwrite?)

Yes, because you can only overwrite a web feature layer with another web feature layer.

If so, would "Replace Web Layer" be a method workaround to maintain the original service?

You can only replace web tile layers, vector tile layers, and web scene layers with some limitations.

Hope this helps,

Jonah

0 Kudos