Empty Polygons in ArcGIS Pro

03-06-2020 02:05 PM
TamannaShah
New Contributor

I am working on violence and religion. I have violent events in an excel with latitude and longitude. I created a separate excel for state-wise religious population numbers in India with lat/long. I can't join the two because the violence events data is only for some states and not all. My task is to first create empty polygons. I created a polygon by tracing it in ArcGIS pro and then clipping it against the number of violent events in India. So the way I created the polygon for India is that the same as an empty polygon? How can I create an empty polygon in ArcGIS pro if the two things are different?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand this statement:

I can't join the two because the violence events data is only for some states and not all.

How are you trying to join these two data sets exactly?

0 Kudos
TamannaShah
New Contributor

I created a point geometry for the violence dataset and probably will create a shapefile for religion. I am concerned that the two files won't join (using joins and relates) properly because the violence dataset has multiple events of violence in one year. I might be wrong and that's why I need help. I am just a month old with GIS and there's a lot of confusion.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Apologies for the delay getting back, been a crazy past few weeks, I think for everyone.  Anyhow, if you haven't sorted this out already, it would be worth reading Overview of joins and relates—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation .  From the description of your data sets, you can either do a one-to-many join or a relate, which one is best depends on how you want to interact with the data.