Elevation surface heights changing depending on viewing distance.

02-18-2020 05:42 AM
AndrewE
New Contributor III

arcpro 2.5‌ 3d local scene ‌elevation surface

I am creating a local scene in ArcPro 2.5 and having issues with viewing my 3D building layer from a distance.  I am using my own custom elevation surface (10m pixel size) and I have no other elevation surfaces in my TOC.  My building layer is a polygon feature class with vertices interpolated from the custom elevation surface and extruded using the "Max height" setting and features are set to "On the ground" in the elevation properties.

When zoomed in close all building are sitting on the surface as expected

when viewing the area from further out the buildings sitting on the higher elevations start to disappear.

Using the swipe tool I can confirm that my buildings are drawing correctly and are still at the correct elevation but my Elevation surface seems to have gotten higher but only on the side of the hill.  I don't understand this behavior.  Is the elevation surface getting simplified and rendered differently when viewing a scene from a distance.  I would assume that regardless of how I was viewing a scene my elevation layer should remain the same.

Any insight or ideas on what is going on in my scene would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Oops, sorry for not clarifying.  LOD = Level Of Detail - basically the "resolution" at which the elevation source is triangulated and displayed in a scene.  

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi 

Howcome ArcGIS Earth and  AGOL Webscenes shows terrain differently?

Mt. Etna seen in ArcGIS Earth:

Mt. Etna seen in a webscene in AGOL:

Is there a way an AGOL webscene can maintain the highest points in the terrain, so the skyline looks more realistic?

As long as mountains are seen from well above the surface of an observaion point, they maintain their height to a certain extent.

0 Kudos