Editing issues

11-20-2018 02:37 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I've been using Pro for a while now to do my editing.  I've noticed several little things that are driving me crazy and wondered what issues others were having.  

Snapping: If I have edge snapping turned on, it seems to take precedence over vertex snapping.  I don't remember this behavior in ArcMap.  The issue happens when one layer has a vertex that I really want to snap to but the other layer with no vertex is what the snapping seems to want to go to.  I'm sure it has something to do with the drawing order but not totally sure.  I'd like a bit more fine control over snapping rather than having to toggle edge snapping on/off constantly.

Trace tool: The trace tool is extremely picky and very slow to draw.  Sometimes even the slightest of movements makes you have to start over on the sketch.  

Split tool: This tool is also extremely picky.  We really need a separate tool for polygons called cut or something similar.  These were separate in ArcMap.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kory Kramer‌ are these on your 'ideas' or 'in production' lists?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

For the snapping issue does the List by Snapping functionality help?

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Yes, that feature is definitely a plus but doesn't quite tackle what I need.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh,

For the snapping issue, you may want to look into creating a case with us in Esri Technical Support ph: (888)-377-4575, as I'm not able to reproduce with my own data in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4.

Perhaps looking into these settings can help:

Are you taking advantage of the snapping tolerance setting? - Turn snapping on or off—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

How about the ability to turn snapping on or off for a layer in List By Snapping in the Contents pane? - Turn snapping on or off by layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

-Scott

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Yes, I have used those tools.  My main idea would be to make vertex snapping a higher priority than edge snapping for both polylines and polygons. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

I'd like to understand the use case more, but perhaps the problem you are trying to overcome is specific to the data you are working with? If that's the case, contacting Technical Support would be your best bet.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI - Regarding the split tool, in the next release (2.3), you will have the ability to divide a polygon by distances, equal parts, or by a percentage.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

cool!  I am on beta, so I will check to see how my incarnation fares against it

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a3b209b7d70045758ed9b4a3f896edb1 

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I was going to try out your tools but I'm unsure how to install them into Pro.  I thought they were add-ins but that doesn't appear to be correct.  Do you have to add these to each project separately?

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos